Wednesday, November 14, 2012

But Guys. Nothing bad happens in Utah.

I've struggled with drugs for much of my teen years. First got hooked on prescription pain meds in junior high, and only progressively grew worse through high school. I am the first person to admit that I have a problem. 
I never learned how to deal with my problems, so, as you can assume, every time something happens in my life, drugs were always where I would turn.
But a little over 3 weeks ago, I decided that's not the life I wanted to live. It wasn't for anyone but myself. (I have no expectations to live up to but my own.) It was for me. My future. My children. Me. 
So, now, going on 3 weeks sober, most of the withdrawls are gone. Most of the negative stuff is over, and I feel at peace. I am a really great person, I just needed to the encouragement. 
But I wouldn't be where I am right now without the IOP team at Turning Point. I love my therapist. I love my counselors. I LOVE all the people in my group. Each and every one of them are my brothers and sisters and I really honestly have been changed more by them in the last 3 weeks than any other single person in my entire life, save my family.
And now, the curtains of drugs lifted, I am happy. Blissfully happy. No, my life isn't perfect. Not even close. I have never been more stressed in my whole life. My parents are about to lose our house. My grandparents are leaving for 2 years. My (used to be?) best friend is smoking and partying and going down the same path I went down. My cousins are adorable as ever, but struggling with body issues. From the outside, my life looks perfect. It's true. I'm happy. I got the boy. I have a nice house, car, 2 jobs and I'm a great student. But, if you really look, it's not that easy. Not that simple. But you know? I can get through this. I've done it for 3 weeks and I can continue:)

((Long Days Journey Into Night by Eugene O'Neill. Read it.))
We were talking about this play in my Humanities class (Oh! First day back at school in a while:) and it REALLY has to do with Utah, especially Utah County. It's all about addictions that no one admits are there. Oh but they're there. Believe me. They are there. 
*Insert Soap Box* WE ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO ARE GOING TO CHANGE THIS. Make talking about drugs less tabboo. Share your story! You aren't the first to get addicted to drugs, and you won't be the last. But your story might change someone's view, and they might get help, or they might help someone else. It's up to us guys. It really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment